I decided to finally finish (or move toward finishing) an orka statuette I started a couple months back. I used some sort of action figure (I think it was a Jake Gyllenhall Prince of Persia action figure) I got from Goodwill for a quarter. The sculpting is done with Apoxy Sculpt which is some pretty awesome air-hardening two-part sculpting compound. I really can't express how much I love Apoxy Scultp. The body, head, horns, and gloves are all done in Apoxy Sculpt. What I do is find a figure that is somewhat poseable. I cut away the stuff I don't need with an Xacto knife and cover the rest with the Apxoy Sculpt so it looks kinda FALy - smooth. Also I cut away parts of the arms so I cant round them out to make them more FALy as well. This process is time consuming as I have to wait for the compound to dry. After it dries I sand it down and fill in gaps, wait for it to dry and sand again.
The orka's skirt is made from a piece of t-shirt I painted with white acrylic paint. Right now there are two coats - I will do at least one more. I cut the legs off the Jake Gyllenhall figure and replaced it with foamcore. I made a Dremel saw blade from a Red hook beer bottle cap which cut through old Jake with great ease.
The orka's polearm is made of an ink pen tube (the ink is still inside - I put Apoxy Sculpt over he ends to seal it). The blade of the weapon is made from a toy I got from Goodwill.
The base of the statue is from an old snow globe. The globe had no liquid in it so I broke the glass and covered the hole in the base with foamcore and Apoxy Sculpt. Then I sanded the whole thing down.
I still need to do a bunch of sanding and smoothing, filling in gaps and making everything nice. Still haven't decided how I will do the orka's face/eye. Also he needs a thumb.
Blogs I Read...